Monday, January 29, 2007

Long Version of Wedding

Now here's the longer version:

That morning, we woke up, had smoothies, and drove to the spa. We had a couples' massage which I highly recommend to any wedding-day bride. We were completely relaxed and smelled of oils. Then Dave left and I got my hair and makeup done. I had just a rough idea how I wanted my hair and let the hairdresser do as she liked. I told her I wanted it partly up, but enough to cover my tattoo (you can see it in one picture here, but that's fine) and I didn't want to touch it all night and it had to stay put. She said no problem and went to work affixing my tiara and veil (not shown). I forgot my veil at home and had to have my dad (who was at my house) drive it to me. I said, out loud, "if that's the worst thing that happens all day, no biggie." Did I curse myself? for) Perhaps. So my hair was done, veil in place, tiara in place - yes, I went with the tiara instead of hair pins as the hair dresser said the tiara would look more timeless (what I asked herand she'd poof my hair behind it so it would downplay the tiara's size. She also said hairpins look like prom accessories and she didn'tl ike it, so okay. My mom got her hair and makeup done (she hasn't worn makeup in 20 years) and it looked great. My friend Will even said "your mom's a very attractive woman!" I told the makeup artist I wanted to look like a picture I'd brought in. The picture had a bride with a very clean fresh looking face. She had makeup on, but it looked natural and flawless on her, not attention-drawing. I said "I don't want any one feature as the focus, but the whole face as the focus." And she pretty much did that. The pictures you see here are from 10pm, 11 hours after my hair and makeup got done, so forgive my very red eyes (long day of having contacts in) and anything else that being tired did to my look.

After leaving the spa, mom and I went to Taco Bell for some quick take out and back to my place to use the bathroom, get my dress and such, and head out. We ran a few minutes late. Almost home, I realized Dave had my car keys, and thus my house keys. I called his cell (thank the gods for cell phones!) and he was almost to Sundy House. I said I'd call a locksmith and don't worry about it, but tell the photographer and site I was running late. I went to my neighbor's house (veil on, tiara on, hair and makeup done, in jeans) and they felt so bad for me. I used their phone books and called 4 locksmiths. Each promised 30 minutes. Whoever got there first got my business. One arrived in 30 minutes and broke my deadbolt off. I was paying him as the second locksmith arrived. Now I'm 50 minutes behind schedule, mind you, and my nerves are shot. The second locksmith won't take "go away" for an answer and demands I pay him the service call. I refuse as he hasn't provided a service. He is insistant to the point of coming into my home. I remind him he's tresspassing and to get the hell out. I go Bridezilla on him - but he seriously was a major jerk about the whole thing. I tell him to bill me. He has my address, just go away, I don't have time for this, I'm on my way to my wedding. Remember, I'm in a veil!!! So he refuses. I quickly gather my things and bolt out the door, leaving only the bottom knob locked and a whole in the deadbolt, not secure, but what choice do I have? I tell my mom to keep her car moving so the jerk doesn't block her in. He threatens to call the police. I tell him go ahead. After all, I won't be there when they arrive. His supervisor calls my cell phone so many times I turn it off. Ridiculous. I'm completely tense and near tears over that jerk and his aggressive behavior. I pull it together though. I tell my mom that I'm trying to be cool about the whole thing but this seriously sucks. I do realize that nothing can start without me, so I have a little solace in that whole mess. But I do need a new massage after all that.

Mom drives like...well, like I get there, which is well over her comfort level. Mom's one of those people who does just under the speed limit. I don't comment until we've arrived. She says "yeah, that is probably the fastest I've ever driven" which makes me laugh a little. I don't consider 75-80 mph to be that fast.

We get there in great time and everyone's up in the hotel room getting dressed. Why everyone's not already dressed I don't know, but they've been there and hour. I shoo everyone out so I can get dressed. I have 10 minutes to get pictures done before the ceremony. Then the site coordinator says "we have you scheduled to start at 5:00" I say it's for 4:30, but he says they have it differently. I have Eric (my best friend and that day's servant for me - poor Eric, I owe him one!) get with the photographer, Dave, and the officiant. All say 5:00 is fine. Great! So I'm not that late after all. We get the family shots done and most of the posed pictures out of the way. Dave sees me in my dress for the first time and he loves it. He really really loved my hair though. Everyone showed up on time (to my knowledge - at least on time for a 5:00 start) and had pre-ceremony drinks of mojito, red sangria, white sangria, and lemonade. We saw our group congregated in a gazebo while we were taking pictures. It was lots of fun to see them in anticipation and all dressed up. Eric brought me a mojito - he's the best!

The wedding started on time, I think (I didn't have a watch) but they told us to come and we did so it seemed fine. The processional was timed to music which went fine until Dave's part where he went a full stanza early. He said the site coordinator cued him too soon. No one noticed though as no one knew what the timing should have been. I got choked up as we started down the aisle and just after arriving I lost it for a second. I had those deep hiccupping sobs, but just 2-3 of them. Then I pulled it together. Reverend Rodriguez asked if I needed a minute but I didn't. Dave kept asking if I was okay and I kept nodding but I was still close to tears. When it came time for vows, I said to him "I have to speak now?" which was tough, but I did and didn't cry. When he got to be I did a little fake to the side like I was going to make a run for it. Everyone laughed. It wasn't planned, just something spontaneous that hit me. I didn't even think on it or I probably wouldn't have done it. Our friend Anj gave a reading and she was all choked up which we found to be very sweet. The ceremony was great. Really really great. I wish I hadn't cried, but you can't help what you feel.

We had a cocktail hour, which we caught about half of as we were doing more pictures. The hors d'ouervres were fantastic (tempura shrimp, vegetable spring rolls, and bacon wrapped scallops) and I wish I'd gotten to have more than one of anything. We were announced as was the bridal party. The DJ, who also MC'd the evening, Gary, announced Eric as the best man and maid of honor, which cracked me up.

The dinner was exactly as it was in the tasting, very good. The cake was so yummy but they only cut up the bottom layer and gave us the top, so no one got to try the mojito cake, but we'll have people over this week to eat it with us as we're not saving it for our anniversary. The site didn't feed DJ Gary in a timely manner, which we were miffed about, but he said it was fine and they were boxing it up for him. We wanted to make sure our vendors were taken care of but he said it was fine.

We asked Gary to play mostly jazz, blues, R&B, and funk. We gave him only the first dance song, no playlist. He picked excellent tracks and it was just what I wanted. Some people danced, but no one was forced to. During the first dance, Dave and I were just kind of talking and swaying. It was wierd having a crowd and all that attention just on us.

Things that went wrong:
I forgot to take my engagement ring off before the ceremony so I did it as discretely as possible during the reading and switched it to my right hand. I also forgot something borrowed. I just forgot. I had something new: the dress, something old: an anklet, and something blue: a blue topaz (Dave's birthstone) bracelet that Dave gave me for my most recent birthday. I also took the marriage license out of the box of stuff for Dave to bring to the site (mostly favors and table cards, that kind of thing) because I saw all my folders of vendor contracts and said "he won't need that" but the license was set against them to keep it flat. It is on our DVD player in the bedroom. Oops! I didn't realize until the photographer asked for it as the officiant wanted to sign it. I said "it was in the box, so the site has it". The site coordinator said "it wasn't inthat box" and I remembered removing all the contracts. Doh! So technically, we're not married yet as it's the day after and the paperwork is unsigned. Sigh. We'll get it done right away though. Tomorrow. The date will still be the 28th, I asked.

Otherwise, it was so great to be with our closest family and friends. Everyone who was invited came, which is unheard of, even our friends who live in Norway. Our friends are a fantastic group of people and we don't forget how lucky we are to have them. They really made the day spectacular for us. Honestly, even though I had to deal with the jerky locksmith, got locked out of my house, and forgot the marriage license, it was terrific. I could have done without the whole locksmith bit, but that wasn't really wedding-related. The wedding was simply perfect. All the little personal touches we did (origami swans we folded ourselves and attached to river rocks to display on the tables, fresh orchids on the cake, the trivia on the back of the table cards) made it fun for our guests. Everyone had a good time, I think. We did, and that's important. It was really, truly a wonderful event and a shining memory.

Stay tuned for pictures as I get them.

One of my friends took some video footage and she said she's going to dub the wedding video in the style of the hilarious Japanese game show MXC. I'm so excited. I can picture planning an anniversary party with an MXC wedding video screening!

1 comment:

UJ said...

That is too sweet: Puddin cried at her wedding. You may wish you hadn't but I'm sure it made everything that much better seeing how much it meant to you. My grats to both you!